Friday, February 16, 2007

A Year Ago

I can't believe a year ago I was in the hospital having a baby. What an amazing experience. As I read my friends blogs, I am reminded how great bringing a new little being into this world is a wonderful thing.

For those of you that don't know "my labor" story, I will tell you about it. I was due February 26th. We found out around 7 1/2 months that Landon was breech. For many of you that are pregnant or had children, the c-section word is not really what you want to hear. The doctor said we could try and turn the baby, but that it probably wouldn't work because he was very large. So, we chose not to try. My c-section was scheduled on February 22nd. We had all the plans ready for my Mom to come and stay with us. Well, Valentine's night we went to bed around 10:30 after eating a great meal at a local restaurant. About 1:30 a.m. I got up to go to the bathroom and I thought I had gone to the bathroom in my pants. I woke Nate up and told him to go feel my pants that were in the laundry basket. hahahah! TMI, huh? After going back to bed because I thought surely my water didn't just break, I tried going back to sleep. About an hour later, I had the "sensation" again. I knew this time that my water had broken. What an experience! I got up and told Nate that I think we needed to go to the hospital but that I was going to take a shower first and put on some make-up. About 3:30 a.m., we headed to St. Luke's on the plaza. They checked me and told me that I was dilated to a 3 and 100% e-faced. (whatever that means) As they prepared me for the surgical room, I started getting nervous. I couldn't believe I was having "major" surgery. The doctors and nurses were so patient and caring. After the numbing doctor numbed me, I started getting sick to my stomach. (I don't know how to spell the proper name for the doctor that numbs you.) They stuck an alcohol swab in my nose and sure enough that cured my nausea. As I felt some tugging on my stomach, I heard this loud cry and out came Landon Andrew Bock, 8 lbs, 9 ounces at 6:53 a.m on February 15, 2006! What a day to remember.

Laying in Mommy's arms


Can you see me?


Going home with Mom and Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Wow, you are right he was good size especially for being early. What an amazing experience and such a huge blessing. God is amazing! Praise the Lord for your special gift. Isn't it hard to believe that he is 1? It sure does fly by.

Oz. said...

Kari:

Thank you for sharing your story. I laughed when I read that you wanted to take a shower and put on makeup before going to the hospital. And that you made Nate go check your clothes. Did the words, "We are NOT eating at that restaurant again," come up? :>)

I'm excited to see the man Landon becomes. He is deeply loved by so many people. And he radiates joy. As blessed as you are to have him, he's just as blessed to have godly parents who will guide him through life and to Christ.

And, Landon: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, little guy!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED that story. Jenny and I laughed so hard. What a blessing Landon is!

erika